Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Keeping on movin'




It's been 18 days here in the lovely land of España, and I feel good. I don't know if that's from all the good food I've been eating, but I feel very contento.

It's already starting to get hot here. My bedroom temperature, with the window open, is currently 80 degrees Fahrenheit. It's freaking hot, and sleeping with covers is like taking a second shower (except in sweat). I can't wait for the 100 degree days when I'll be chilling in the pool and around Madrid. Those will be the days.

The puppies are getting big! It's only been 10 or so days, and they've already just about doubled in size. I personally have stayed about the same weight, but I expect to maybe gain a few pounds in muscle and fat before I go back to the States. The food here is just soo good, and I eat a lot of it. The family says that the last teacher that came here gained 7 kilos or about 15 pounds! Well... I guess it's inevitable, might as well embrace it!

I'm starting a new teaching method with Dánae. Everyday day We're going to be drawing a picture with different things that she wants to learn, and of course, we're going to connect the English words with the pictures. I think this is two birds with one stone. 1 - Dánae loves to draw, and this will be a way to connect with her. 2 - She'll connect pictures with English words rather than 'translations' from Spanish, and I think (from being a Rosetta Stoneite) that this is a very good way to learn.

Teaching the mom here is going well. We usually spend about 3 hours a day talking about stuff. Most of the time she talks, I listen (Good practice for marriage, eh? haha). She's increased her confidence in speaking English over the past week, and now she tries to say everything in English that she can. We mostly go to the grocery store, fruit store, to get gas, or to do random shopping, and in the car we're always talking about whatever. I can understand everything she says now in Spanish, without missing a beat. When I got here to Spain, it was a little more difficult understanding her, but now I find myself being able to double task by listening to her and thinking about other stuff. Good sign of fluency!!!

I've started to read a huge 600 something page novel in Spanish by the writer Zafón. I've currently read about 20 pages, and it's been very tough. I have a good understanding of the general concepts of the book, but it's kind of like reading Shakespear. You understand what's going on, but you can't enterarse de cada palabra.

Oh how I've missed my chuches (snacks) from America. I'm currently chowing down on some Haribo gummy bears and Sour Patch Kids. Gardettos is also being destroyed, and so are some delicious Scooby snacks. haha.

I'll keep chugging along, and hopefully things will keep going for the better like they have been.

Abrazos y besos (Hugs and kisses).
Nicolás Antonio Canfield

2 comments:

  1. Nick,
    Thanks for keeping us up to date and including some pics. It's been a lot of fun living vicariously through your youth...

    Get me a shot glass would ya?

    Till next time..

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, needing some more photos.. how about the family, the house, neighborhood, etc etc etc... and yes the puppies are freaking cute!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete